Joe's Blogs: a travelling diary

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

the mohawk takes shape and the days get interesting

the mohawk takes shape and the days get interesting


So the last two or three weeks have been eventful. Let's start from the beginning.

Every year Utila hold two main events: Carnaval - at the end of July - and Sunjam, falling this year on my brother's birthday. Carnaval started off by crowning some tasty ladies, notably Miss Utila and Miss Honduras 2005. It's fair to say they're tastier than Mamita's baleadas. We also had a top showing and performance from the local heart throbs, the Utila Thrillas. "Thrillas 'till I die, mother trucker." People thought they were so good, the UT did the same tune three times to endless elation and rapture from the captiated Utilians - it was priceless.

Speaking of locals, there are a couple of rare breeds. One to note is Alfred, an instructor at Underwater Vision who has a never feigning passion for Wrestling. I popped over with the Canadiens Matt and Ryan for a spot of gumbo soup and a proper WWF or WWE or whatever extravaganza played through ridiculous ear-bleeding speakers. Alfred was on top of his game absolutely loving it and I was sat back in awe of his enthusiasm and his ability to predict when someone was properly going to lay the smackdown on some poor sucker.

Towards the end of the month, well, Utila were 'blessed' with Claire and Alison - I was blessed with sorting the two buggers out with accommodation a week before Sunjam. Only kidding girls! Alison, initially unsure of this whole scuba diving malarky, eventually got her head down and never looked like she was gasping for air - so to speak. I was so proud of her, swimming like a pro towards the end of her Open Water course. As for Claire, well, predictably she took it all in her feminine stride and proceeded to clean out the Advanced OW with panache and finesse. Well done to both of you!

Of course the girls rewarded themselves almost nightly by chilling out with Johawk (Joe + mohawk = Johawk) and eating phenomenal food at RJ's. It was time for them to leave after Sunjam, but not after a little 'drama' if I recall correctly? Naturally that means my missing the boat to the party.

Yes, there was no showboating, or any kind of boating, for me on the 6th August. After testing my hazed patience for all of thirty minutes (some waiting five hours) for a boat to Water Cay, I decided to gallon the Plata and have a good time with the housemates and guests, capping off the evening with a plethora of good music and a dashing of the OC. So no Sunjam for me (bit gutted) but I still had a good time.

The quiz night at UDC saw the Utila Dive Centrefolds come in a place not worth mentioning, but it was not without good laughing, D-9 marvelling (by Simon) and great tacos from Will – masterful.

So now i reside with 'which-planet-are-you-on-today' Fearghas, who leaves us in body in a few days. As for myself, well I've got about a week left here, so I'm going to enjoy it as much as I can. I'm sure Liz, and the boys, of course, can help me out there :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home