Joe's Blogs: a travelling diary

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Cuz I'm movin' on up, movin' on out, movin' on up, nuuuthing can stop me..

Anyone who has stayed for a period of time in hostels - in particular, dorms - would agree that forty-three days' residency with five constantly changing roommates is long enough. So, I had a sombre farewell from the ACB and moved in with Georgina (a friend from work) and Steve. Well, it wasn't that sombre, I'm pretty much there with the lads every other day anyway.

The new place, well, it's tres chic. One big plus is that the rent is cheaper than a six bed dorm amazingly and the flat itself is huge, a loft conversion above an art gallery. Oh, did I mention that we've also got a slate pool table and Sky TV? No I didn't mention it, I just read it back and saw that that was the first time I wrote it. So yea it's sweet. One thing that puts a damper on things is the fact that I can't really update my website from home because of the abhorrently slow dial-up connection, might have to remedy that. For now, I'll do some write-ups from work :)

Speaking of work, life at GE is going well. We had a staff barbecue last Friday which was $5 all you can eat and drink - what a bargain. We also played football with the managers; naturally a few slide tackles were going in here and there - friendly competition. After all, everyone is even on the football field. We then proceeded to cause disturbances at the docks of the Viaduct by kicking the ball around the quiet walkpaths and against the walls of the posh apartments. We also managed to hit the mast of a yacht as one of the over-audacious staff overhit and the ball and we watched it sail (see what I did there: "sail," talking about "yachts." Great) over the walkway barriers. We were being rather juvenile and it was great.

After not seeing her for three weeks or so, I finally met up with my old mate Denise at her place for a barbecue. It was all very civilised until a couple of Kiwis turned up and it started to heat up. Apparently Kevin and Jamie are Auckland pool champions - we'll have to see about that. And thanks to Denise's housemate Martina for the fantastic food - you cook too well!

We had our weekly backpacker's gathering at Victoria Park for the "Soccer Sunday" in which the winners walk away with $100. We had all the big boys out today: Tony, Andy, Mike and myself were out to cause some havoc. And we did. We won. Thanks for the 100 bucks, let's get to the Balcony and the Globe! We couldn't double our money as we all lost early in the pool competition in the evening. Typical. But we were happy with our footballing performance and came out the deserved and inevitable champions.

This week I believe Georgina and I are going rock climbing. In fact she has been consistently adamant that we're going. So, I best get back to work and will keep you up to date with this week's events. As for pictures, well, I need to either find a new internet cafe or sort out something better at home before any more are posted. Dial-up is the information superhighway equivalent of piles. Piles that come out *really slow*, to be exact.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home